View all Destinations
Fish for: Barramundi, Queenfish, Mangrove Jack, Permit, Golden Trevally, Gold Spot Cod, Giant Trevally
Recommended Seasons: March/April or September/October
Location: Hinchinbrook Island
Recommended stay: 4 Days, 4 Nights
Accomodation: Waterfront house
Other activities: Explore the fossil beach!, Bushwalk on the amazing Hinchinbrook Island.
Pricing: Seasonal but starts from $2,325pp on a 2 per boat basis and group of 4
Visit the legendary Hinchinbrook Island, offering a stunning backdrop for an unparalleled fishing adventure.
– Flats Fishing Paradise:
– Mecca for saltwater fly-fishing with legendary flats fishing for barramundi, queenfish, and trevally.
– Hinchinbrook, a holy grail for targeting permit.
– Diverse Fishing Opportunities:
– Creeks, channels, and inlets for mangrove jack and barramundi.
– Ideal for passionate fly and lure fishing enthusiasts.
– Hinchinbrook is a must for avid fly or lure fishers.
– Expert Guides:
– Australian Fly Fishing Outfitters’ guides ensuring a top-notch experience.
– Waterfront Accommodation:
– Stay in Cardwell with a choice of fantastic waterfront homes for 2 to 6 guests.
– Private jetty fishing with a chance for impressive barra catches.
– Self-Catered Convenience:
– Let us organize your supplies or enjoy a courtesy bus to the pub for easy dining out.
The area is of world heritage significance and provides one of the best back drops to a fishing adventure anywhere in the world.
Hinchinbrook is legendary for its flats fishing and sight casting to barramundi, queenfish, trevally and various other species that use the high tide and early run out as a time to ambush bait fish. The area is a mecca for the saltwater fly-fishing community with permit being an extremely viable target on top of the species just mentioned. Many visit the area just to target this member of the “holy grail”.
The myriad of creeks, channels and inlets deliver great results when sight fishing isn’t an option.
There’s some big mangrove jack and plenty of structure for barramundi to be sitting out of the current and waiting for an easy feed to drift by. Perfect for lure fishing enthusiasts to take advantage of.
We wouldn’t recommend Hinchinbrook for beginners but if you’re a keen fly or lure fisher, it must be on your “bucket list”.
Our guides are all members of the Australian Fly Fishing Outfitters and also keen to put lure fishermen onto visual fishing the flats and everything else the destination has to offer.
The accommodation is in Cardwell and a choice of two fantastic waterfront homes dependent on the size of your group. We can cater from 2 to 6 guests. Tossing a live bait off the private jetty of an evening whilst enjoying a quiet beverage with mates has produced some impressive barra including the odd metre plus trophy.
This is a self-catered trip and all required supplies can be organised for you, but a great option is the courtesy bus to the pub which delivers direct to you feed free of charge. This makes eating out easy after a big day on the water.